How to keep cool in this weather - from someone who used to live in the tropics!
So the sun is shining and we are all melting – well I am anyway. We all love the sun, but sometimes it is just a bit too hot, even for me. Here are a few tips on keeping cool in this weather:
· Open ALL the windows in your house – try and create a through breeze
· Wear natural fabrics – they help your skin breathe more and keep you cooler. I love linen in this weather
· Loose clothing is better than tight clothing
· If you have fans, have them on to cool a room before going in. Great for the office and the bedroom
· Cool showers – especially before bed will help you sleep
· Drink lots. And I do mean lots. Best to avoid too much alcohol as it dehydrates you. Grab a water bottle and make sure you keep refilling it through the day. In heat like this I aim for at least 3 litres a day!
· Ice lollies are lovely!
· Fill the paddling pool, or even a container with water to put your feet into
· Ladies – forget makeup! If you feel you can’t, stick to a tinted moisturiser with sun cream in it. Everything else will just melt anyway!
· Wear a big hat, suncream and sunglasses. Sunburn is not attractive!
· Avoid going in the sun between 11am and 3pm – the hottest parts of the day
· Don’t forget your pets – they need extra water too! A tip from a dog groomer friend – make sure you don’t walk your dog on a hot path as it could burn their feet. If it is too hot for your hand to touch it for 5 seconds it is too hot for your dog to walk on!
If all else fails, I suggest retreating to the nearest shopping centre that is air conditioned, or the cinema. Why not check out what is on at Cineworld and escape the heat for a couple of hours!